Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Family Traditions

Most families have their own traditions as far as the holidays go. My family is no exception to this, hence the title of this post. With Thanksgiving coming up I was thinking about what I am most thankful for - and that is my family. My dad's side of the family is quite large. I am the youngest of 13 grandchildren, from the 6 children of my grandparents (who each came from families of 13 kids each). Before I was born Thanksgiving was always held at my grandparent's house. It was a chance for everyone to catch up and all of the cousins to get to play together. But, by the time I came along, all of the individual families had started doing their own dinners on thanksgiving (I am the youngest by 10 years).

In 2004 my cousin Jeff had a wonderful idea to start having a big family meal again. It was planned that the Sunday before Thanksgiving we would have an early Thanksgiving for the whole family to get together. Our new tradition was that we would make a main course as our great grandmother would have. We each bring a dish, but cook something (this year it was chicken pot pie) in kettles over an open fire outside. We have made chicken corn soup, apple butter, and the traditional turkey. It has been so great for all of the family to get to pitch in and spend the day together. This is what I am thankful for. It is also great that the great grandchildren and the great-great grandchildren have an opportunity to get to know one another as some of them live a few hours away.

My grandfather just had his 90th birthday in September and God willing we will have him for years to come, but it is wonderful to see his joy at having the whole family together. Here is the family photo from this year (minus about 18 people):



This represents my dad and his brothers and sisters and their families. This gives you an idea of how large our family is. The extended family is huge! I'm constantly finding out about more cousins ;0). So, I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving! Eat lots of turkey, spend time with loved ones, and then take a nap! :0)

6 comments:

Angela said...

Awwww, that's really sweet that you get together with your whole extended family. That doesn't happen on my mom's side of the family after a strange falling-out years ago and on my dad's side, I just have two crazy old bachelor uncles. Nick's family is large enough on its own without including any extra relatives, so we don't have the opportunity to celebrate holidays with them either.

Melly` said...

No pictures of the food! I wanted to see the food!

But it all sounds wonderful!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a great time, Missy! We had a smallish gathering this year, just six of us, but it was a damn fine time. With damn fine leftovers.

littlemissy555 said...

Angela, I'm sorry you don't get to celebrate like that, but I'm sure that both have their advantages! ;0)

Hi Melly, I'm sorry, but I didn't have my camera. The picture in the post was courtesy of my cousin...I will make sure to get some food pictures at Christmas just for you.

Melissa, it really was lovely. I'm glad to hear that you also had a great holiday! And, the leftovers are the best part ;0)

Nanette said...

That sounds like a very good tradition. Is that your new fella?

littlemissy555 said...

Hi Nan! I'm really glad that this tradition was started...I look forward to it every year. Jeremy isn't in the picture. He was bear hunting. But, I will post a pic in flickr for you ;0)