Friday, February 23, 2007

I'm getting tired of this

I had to say goodbye to another family member yesterday. My great-aunt passed away and yesterday was her funeral. It is hard when you get to the age where all of your aunts, uncles, and grandparents are getting up there in years. When I was younger, I remember going to a few services, but this is the third one in less than a year. I love seeing my family members, but not under such circumstances.

The service was lovely and touching. Her grandson made everyone cry when he got up to speak about her, and everything was just as she wanted it. So, after the service, the family had a lunch, so I got to talk to some family, and eat...so that was good.

I didn't have to go to work afterwards, so my parents and I went to my dad's favorite bar. My mom doesn't drink, and I wasn't in the mood to do so, so we decided to shoot pool. My dad is a great shooter, and my mom is pretty good as well.

Mom and I were the only ones shooting for a while, as there weren't many people there to begin with. Surprisingly, I was doing most of the winning. I'm not to bad myself, but I rarely beat my dad. Long story short...we spent most of the day shooting, and as more people came in, some of the guys were trying to be competitive and were putting their quarters up to play....I beat all except one. So, that made me feel pretty good.

So, yesterday was bittersweet, I guess that was the point of this rambling mess. I am totally glad that it is Friday, and I hope everyone had a good weekend!!

I want to leave you with one thing that the preacher said at the service. I have heard it before, and you may have as well, but it is very true.

"The Dash" by Linda Ellis

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Missy, I'm sorry to hear about your great-aunt. Funerals are so hard to attend, but it sounds like hers was very touching.

P.S. Nice work with the pool cue!

tkkerouac said...

this poem really touched me, I always cry at funerals.

MrRyanO said...

Hello...Sorry for your loss!

Alicia said...

Maybe you beat your dad because he was drinking and you weren't?

Just joking.
So sorry to hear about the death of another relative.
:(

Hang in there.

Steven said...

SOrry for your losss kiddo. :(

Steve~

Nanette said...

Sorry for your loss.

Adamity73 said...

Yeah, time passes and people get older. It's rough. I'm sorry that it's a rough time for you. Peace to you. That poem is really good. I've read/heard it before, but it's absolutely true. We all tend to focus on the DOBs and the end number--it's the dash that is most important.

Way to kick ass with the cue!