Monday, January 15, 2007

Poor Buddy....;0(

This weekend was probably the most boring weekend that I have had in quite a long time. I was stuck at home to keep an eye on my gimpy dog. Thursday night when I got home from work, Tony was installing my dishwasher...YAY!!!...and he had Buddy in his cage so he was out of the way. Buddy doesn't mind the cage all that much as long as he's not penned up for too long.

As soon as Tony was finished (it was a fiasco, and I'll post about it tomorrow) I let Buddy out of the cage. I took him out and when we came back inside he was hyper and excited like normal. Tony and I were playing with him and he was running around the house like a mad man. We aren't sure exactly when, but at some point he got one of his toenails caught somewhere and broke it back near his toe. He wasn't crying or limping, but he was bleeding like crazy.

Once I got his foot cleaned off and got the bleeding to stop, I called the 24hr animal hospital to see if I needed to bring him in. They told me it was unnecessary as long as I had stopped it from bleeding. So, I made an appointment at the vet on Friday.

When the appointment was made, it was agreed that we would drop him off and let them sedate him a little bit to cut the nail off without causing him a lot of pain. I'm OK with that, but when Tony went to drop him off, they did no such thing. They went into the exam room, the vet told Tony to hold him (he assumed that the vet wanted to look at it) and proceeded to just cut it off. I don't know about anyone else, but I was seriously pissed off when Tony told me that. I imagine that would feel like having your fingernail get torn down into your nail bed.....not fun.

So, I had to keep an eye on him so he wouldn't chew the bandage...that we had to redo because they didn't do a good enough job. I gave him a break from the bandage last night and had a good look at his nail. It must be very sore, so I've been giving him his pain medicine and keeping him from walking on it too much. So, I think I need to find another vet. I hope everyone had a good weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww...poor thing! hope he's feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Poor puppy! That's such a mean way to operate! Hope he gets better soon!

Unknown said...

I agree- get a new vet- that was very mean. A vet of all people should understand that animals feel pain just like we do! I really can't believe how wrong that was!

Melissa said...

Poor little gimp! I hope he's rocking and rolling soon. Unless the vet could give me a good explanation of why no sedation was necessary, I'd be looking for a new vet too.