Monday, March 26, 2007

Not a good weekend

I'm sorry but this is probably going to be a long post...FYI

Friday afternoon I am driving home from work. I have already made my pit stop at the bank to deposit my paycheck, so I am free to go home and start the weekend. I had a few things planned...hang out with my cousin, go to a little party at my girlfriend's house, and just generally be kinda lazy ;0)

Unfortunately, my weekend didn't go as planned. As a matter of fact it came to a screeching halt when my cell phone rang on my way home.

*Phone rings*

Me: "Hello"

Mom: " Hi Honey"

Me: "Hey mom, what are you doing?"

Mom: "Honey, Pappy has been taken to the ER, dad and I are here at the hospital"

Me: "WHAT?!?!"

Long conversation short...My grandfather was at the senior center and was having lunch. He began having bad chest pains and the staff thought it was best to call the ambulance. Once they got him to the hospital and ran some tests, the consensus was that he has an aortic aneurysm.

They immediately started him on medication to keep his blood pressure low, so there is as little pressure on the bulge as possible. Due to his age (89) and health the doctors decided that operating to correct it was out of the question.

I spent all day Saturday and Sunday in the hospital with him, along with all the other family members. Sunday when the doctor made his rounds, he gave us more bad news. What Pap had was not actually an aneurysm, but an aortic dissection...which is of course worse than the aneurysm. The treatment is the same, and if his blood pressure is too high the tear will get bigger and eventually will burst open and he will bleed to death.

We are playing a waiting game now, as the doctors have no way of telling us how much time he has left. It could be days, weeks, or months. They just don't know.

My grandfather called me over to him yesterday because he needed a drink and told me that he is looking forward to meeting the Lord and seeing my grandmother again. I am so glad that he is calm and happy. I have been crying and feel very sad, but I also feel calm...it's sort of strange.

He knows what is going on around him and is not disoriented, but he sleeps most of the time which I am thankful for. So, think some happy thoughts for us, and if you pray, your prayers would be much appreciated!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I'm sorry to hear that, Melissa. I hope whatever can be done is done and that he is not in any pain.

Nanette said...

I'm sorry sweetie. My happy thoughts are with y'all.

MrRyanO said...

All my thoughts go out to you!

littlemissy555 said...

Adam & Nanette, thank you very much! He is comfortable and as soon as they get his medications at the correct dosage they will probably let him go home. Now we just play the waiting game and hope that the meds do their job.

littlemissy555 said...

Thank you Rockdog!!

Angela said...

So sorry to hear that! I'll be sending my thoughts and prayers.

Melissa said...

Sending prayers his way, and hoping you're doing as well as you can. I'll be thinking of you both.