Monday, November 13, 2006

Getting Older

I don't know what prompted me to want to write about this today. Maybe I am grumpy or maybe just a bit sad. Either way, I don't feel very chipper. I am borrowing this from a poem that Adam wrote about his grandmother.

My paternal grandfather is the only grandparent that is still living. My mom's father passed away when she was only 12 years old, so I never knew him. My grandmothers both passed in 2000 (exactly 2 months apart to the day!), so Pappy is all that I have left.

Pap had had a few strokes, his memory was not good, and he had the normal health issues of an 89 year old man. It had gotten so that he would leave things in the fridge for way too long and eat bad food, because he forgot that it was bad. He still drove, and would get disoriented and forget where he was going or where he was. Having to watch someone you love go through that was devastating, but having to watch them be forced to give up their freedom is worse IMO.

In July the family decided that it would be in his best interest to go to an assisted living facility. He could come and go as he pleased (if someone took him) and it was supposed to be a pretty nice place. He had been in the hospital, so they decided he would need to go when he was released.

My grandfather can be very emotional, and when they (when I say they, I am referring to various family members) told him what was going to happen, he got very upset. What was going to happen to his little dog? What was going to happen to his belongings? He was just very very upset. Now, Pap lived in an apartment in my Uncle Harry's house, so having his things disturbed wasn't an issue. My parents took Tinkerbell, so that wasn't a problem either....except to him it was. This place could've been the Ritz-Carlton...not good enough, because it wasn't his home. Pappy was used to being independent, and couldn't fathom why he couldn't be now. My uncle had taken his car keys (he was a danger on the road), and he knew that he could come and go and wanted his car. The deal was, that he had to take an evaluation to see if he was fit. He took the evaluation a few weeks ago, and failed. Unfortunately, he doesn't know that yet. My uncle has not told him, for fear that he will become depressed. He had just started to socialize with the other residents, and we don't want to hinder that, but all he talks about is getting his car back.

I love to spend time with him...he tells me stories from when he was young, and when my dad was little...oh the blackmail...but spending time there also breaks my heart. Every time I leave, I want to cry. He had worked his ass off his entire life and now he has to spend his time in a home.

The point of all my blabbering is that it is terrible getting older....not only does your body betray you, but sometimes your mind does too. When you have a loved one who is going through it, it just tears your heart to pieces. I don't really know what else to say. This was just kind of a rant/ramble post, so hopefully I will think of something good for the next one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to always say that i never wanted to get old and i wanted to die young. how morbid, eh? now, i'm taking that back...i want to live to see my great-grandchildren!

i know what you mean though...pDaddy's grammie had to get put in a home as well b/c she was getting really senile and the alzheimer's was really kicking in. she wouldn't even recognize her own children's faces and definitely never "knew" me. i've met her and seen her, but she was no longer keeping anything short term. she only talks of the old days...

hang in there! it's tough, but i always tell pDaddy to remember the good memories :)

sorry i posted so much...

Steven said...

I'm sorry kiddo...

If it makes you feel any better, you don't look a dy over 23 to me. :)

Steve~

Adamity73 said...

Lil Miss--

I don't know.

This shit fucking SUCKS!

We see our older relatives as we've always seen them. In our minds.

Then we shake loose the cobwebs and see theReality. (<--no typo)

theReality.

It hits us like a ton of fucking bricks: Our Loved is not going to "do better." And we want to weep with the memory-loss. We want to weep with the Loved's tender footsteps. The Shuffle.

theReality hits. And it makes us so fucking sad because we kin remember--even if they can't. We remember turkey dinners and birthdays. We remember, for me, how the Loved always sprang into song, with just the slightest provocation. Shit. A slice of dialogue would--and still does, to a certain degree--set her off into peals of Song.

My Grandma is in an assisted-living center. I have her telephone number. I haven't used it, yet. I love the LOVE out of her--no worries; reserves--but I find it hard to just pick up the fucking telephone and call her, shoot the shit. She remembers...not a whole hell of a lot. And, yes, it tears my fucking heart out...through my throat.

My eldest sissy, Alexis, called her within the last two-three-weeks and cried into the 'phone with Eldora (Klassik Grandmother's name? Right there! And my Dad's mother's name was Alberta. Anudder klassik!). My Grandma said, "Do you have a cold? You sound different."

I'm sure Alexis held the receiver from her mouth--maybe even covered it--as she bawled.

This may sound cold-hearted, but it's not. I hope that this is the last Holiday Season that my Grandma experiences. God damn, that sounds bad. It's like this:

We'll shower her with fucking love and then, maybe, during the next year, she will leave this world and meet back up with her lover, William. Life is too fucking hard for her, now. She's had enough. I can feel her frustration and it makes me want to tear up. Every damn time. She's had enough.

I've had seven beers, so I'm dry-eyed. Unemotional, pragmatic Dickhead-Adam. (Wait till 12.)

But I'll tell you this: After a lifetime of energy and clear thought, my Grandma (Eldora) is sick and tired of being sick and tired. And weak. And she has gossamer-thought. And she's unable to walk for herself.

Come January 2nd, it'll be 89 years that she has graced this planet.

...I don't know....

I'm sorry. I totally walked over your grandfather.

[I THINK WE MAY HAVE THE SAME KINDS OF THOUGHTS, HERE.]

lyfecyclesux.com