Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What is in a nickname?

Well, that entirely depends on the person. While perusing the blogosphere you will come across a plethora of nicknames, screen names,
or titles. Whatever you call them, there is almost always some type of
story behind the name. It could be part of your given name, or some
version of your name. Most times it has something to do with a hobby,
the type of car you drive/like, your personality, your size (like me),
or maybe a funny story or event from your life.

I actually have a few nicknames. Littlemissy555
comes from a nickname my best friend gave me. When we first became
friends, she had another friend named Missy, so she had to
differentiate between us. I am only 4'10" so she started calling me
little Miss (her other friend Missy was "pain in the ass Missy" ). When
I got my excite account back in the day, I tried to use little miss,
butlittlemissy555 is what they gave me, so I have just kept using it.

My family nickname, is bird. Of course some call me birdie or birdie Ann
(my middle name). This is the one that was completely out of my
control. When I was born, I was 2 1/2 months early, and I only weighed
2lb 7oz. My cousin visited me in the hospital and said that I looked
like a baby bird....and it stuck. It doesn't bother me...I can think of
worse nicknames (I had an ex, whose grandmother called himshitbird??? I don't know why), and everyone still calls me by that name.

Missy
is a nickname too, seeing as my "given" name is Melissa. Minnie is yet
another one that came from a cousin. We are only three months apart in
age and he couldn't say Melissa when we were little, so he just called
me Minnie, and still does. I've been called shorty so many times that I
want to gag...I've been calledlil' bit, blondie, and various other common names, but I like my own unique ones better.

So,
what's in your nickname? Is there a story, or was it something someone
just stuck you with? Do you like it or hate it? The ones that come from
parents are always the "best", so if you are brave enough...I kid, I
kid...;0) Let's hear it!!!

3 comments:

Steven said...

When I was a little kid my grandmother used to call me cotton top.

My dad called me asshole. ;)

Steve~

Dare said...

My name leaves it wide open. (It's Dare)
I've been called cookies, oreo, darebear, bears, But my fav is Dave Mavrik. (When you print my name it sometimes looks like Dave) and I was on the boys gym list for years and I've been introduced as Dave many times....

Adamity73 said...

One of my friends started calling me "Adam Bomb." It stuck; I use it for my email address and I use it for other computer-related user names.

In 8th grade, kids called me "Jerry K," because I supposedly looked like Jerry Louis (monkey jaw) and because I struck out a lot in baseball.

This kid, Jeff Barbato, called me "Adam Butthole," (my last name starts with a "Bu") so I retaliated by calling him "Jeff Barbutthole." 8th-grade hijinks, gotta love 'em!

I've also been called "Drunk Adam" and "Sober Adam," depending upon my alcoholic intake because, sometimes, when I drink, I become like a totally different person. Joy.