Monday, May 14, 2007

I must be selfish

A while back, I had written a post regarding the fact that my parents wanted to sell their house. I have also previously written about what a complete and utter sap I am. These two things in combination do not make me a happy camper right now.

My parents have found a buyer for their house. The house that I grew up in and have so many memories in (not that they don't). Even saying those things makes me feel like a whiny 12 year old. In all fairness, it is their house and they can do whatever they want with it, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

My parents built the house in....1989 or 1990 (I think) on property they bought from my grandmother. The 2.5 acres bordered the property that my grandmother's house was on and was part of the original property where my mom was born. I guess that is another reason why I can't see why they want to sell. They worked their tails off to clear the land to build (it was heavily wooded) the house by hand. I remember helping stack wood.

Being that mom and dad are getting older, they want to eliminate their debt and move upstate where the property is cheaper. I understand that, but I am really upset that they want to move AWAY. Why not buy something that is still close. They have a granddaughter coming at the end of summer, and they want to move.

I don't do well with change sometimes....can ya tell. It is hard for me to deal with major changes, especially anything involving anything emotional. It is a weakness of mine. For example, when my grandmother went into a nursing home and her house/property was auctioned it was sold to an amish neighbor who tore her house down and rebuilt on the site. I couldn't go up the driveway (you had to pass her house to go up our driveway) without getting upset.

So, the point of all this is that yes, I am upset about all this. But, I feel really selfish for feeling that way. I am happy for them, considering that this is what they want to do though. Any thoughts? I just needed to get that off my chest, so sorry for the long post ;0).

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Never apologize for the length of a post! If this is what's on your mind, then you damn well write it all out.

It's not childish to feel the way you're feeling. You're obviously close to your family and of course this would be upsetting. And you will feel better as time passes and your parents settle into their new home.

Chin up.

Melly` said...

Oh - you poor thing! I completely understand why you would feel miserable - and really really understand the old guilt crap for feeling badly about things.... I berate myself for feeling badly about things that are either not my business or just the way it has to be! Example! Today I told off one of my dear friends daughters for bringing food & drink inside when I had clearly said all 9 children had to eat and drink outside today. Friend got the shits and let her daughter go home and leave the wicked Mel... and so I felt bad.It IS similar because I can see both sides - mine I want mess contained - theirs they want daughter to be happy (and lets face it my house is ... errr not immaculate anyways)

It can be impossible to please everyone. But we are being silly beating ourselves up.... for wanting things "our way" sometimes.

Take heaps of photos!

littlemissy555 said...

Melissa, thank you for the pep talk! I guess this is just another growing pain, so to speak. I really am happy for them for a new opportunity. ;0)

Melly, I will be sure to take lots of photos! Especially of my old bedroom which is still to this day painted pink and is still arranged the way it was when I lived at home ;0)