Friday, December 29, 2006

It's not goodbye....just see ya later

On the 23rd, my great aunt passed away at the grand age of 88. She had been quite ill for some time now and was receiving care from Hospice for a few weeks. She probably only weighed 70lb if not less....she was nothing but skin and bones.

All those things aside, she was still just as strong willed as she had ever been. She would ask for her cigarettes and ashtray, and had her coffee pot right beside her bed. She was surrounded by her children when she passed, and I would like to think that her passing was a blessing. Her suffering has ended, and she is in a better place.

Her favorite activity (besides smoking and drinking coffee) was to play poker. So, I would imagine that that is what she is doing right now. Her funeral was yesterday.....and the overall feeling of calm and peacefulness was kind of weird, but everyone was just glad that her struggle had ended.

So, this is my way of saying....I'll see you later....we don't know when our time here is up, when it is our time to be called home, but we all know that it will happen. My intent today was not to depress everyone, so sorry if this is depressing. I should have something more upbeat later. Happy Friday.

6 comments:

MrRyanO said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt, but she does sound like a GREAT aunt!

littlemissy555 said...

She was a great aunt...you couldn't help but love her...she was very spunky! ;)

Adamity73 said...

Hey, write whatever the hell you want to write--whose blog is it, anyway? I agree with what you're saying about passing on sometimes being a blessing. It's hard for the afflicted and it's hard for family members to see a loved one suffer. I'm sorry for your loss.

I always find older people who stick to their vices endearing as hell. My Mom's dad was like that. Ciggies and coffee and occasional rum-and-Cokes. And as opinionated as a donkey. Okay, let's say 'stubborn' instead. ;-)

Nanette said...

Sorry for your loss :(

littlemissy555 said...

Adam, I always look forward to your comments! Yes, I really believe that her passing was a blessing, she is in a better place.

Nanette, thank you very much!

Melissa said...

Missy, I'm sorry to hear about your great aunt's passing, but I'm glad her family was with her and she stayed true to the end.

Adam - occasional rum-and-cokes? I'm going to agree with the strong-willed, of course. :)